Friday, July 20, 2007

Since I've Been Gone

I find myself thinking from time to time about disappearing. Not the "poof" non-existent kind, but more the good old pack up and move to God knows where sort of leaving without anyone ever even knowing that you left. (I guess it could be counted into the former category though to those "tree falls in the forest" philosophers since no one would know, but that is beside the point.) So I've thought about it, and don't know where I'd go or what I'd do, but this is not really the main concern. The problem these days is the inability to actually disappear. Due to technology, it seems people can find you anywhere. You have a phone (or two or three), an email address (or two or three), a myspace/facebook/friendster, and who knows what else to track who/what/where you are. Case in point, this blog. Something links to something else, and someone will eventually find you. So I figure if I really wanted to go through with it, theoretically these are my options: A) Set aside a 24 hour period before said disappearance to cancel all associated technologies used as best as possible, B) Re-configure said technological connections to try and throw people off for a few months, or C) B then A, followed by moving to a deserted corner of the earth with no satellite service (which is either a handful of islands in the Pacific or the majority of the central United States). I'm thinking C may be my best choice, but the reality is that all of this is soapbox theory and actually disappearing isn't ever going to happen. Sigh. Until next time...

No comments: